Greetings from the new official firmware developer

Discuss use it and firmware update
  • That would be great !
  • Please God/halides, fix the pattern edit multi-push bug.
  • Hi halides - first of all THANK YOU for picking up this job! I really appreciate it!
    As you might (or might not) have read here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1199 I'm having troubles with my Yocto behaving strangely. I thought that giving a shot with the new/beta firmware could eventually solve my pains... so, I'm available for beta-testing.
    Let me know when/how I could be helping!

Thanks,
    Flavio.
  • Hi and sorry again for my extreme tardiness, spent the xmas holiday just chilling and abruptly left my job beginning of this year and had to start looking for a new project. I've gone through many interviews and had to do a bunch of work examples for applications. I just returned the last one I was working on and am free to work on the Yocto once again, PHEW. I'll reboot the project today, try to work on it tomorrow also and my calendar for the next week is almost empty!

.p
  • rv0 wrote:@Halides

Could you please coordinate with Vincent to create an official github page for the code from viewtopic.php?f=17&t=180&start=10#p2391

and then start from there? That way other developers can file merge requests and such, this would speed up development eventually
    Hi rv0!

I am wondering how many people actually have a functional development environment? It took me 20+ hours to get the toolchain working properly, you need to solder connectors, have a Arduino board or an FTDI, need to edit a bunch of text files to be able to burn the firmware. I just checked and I can just edit stuff in the Arduino 1.0.1 IDE and hit "Upload" and it works, but it wasn't that easy to set it up.

I'll create a repository for the project soon.

.p
  • Hi halides - welcome back! We were missing you!!!
    As maybe already mentioned - I am willing to help as far as my competences can reach (which might be equal to a labor rat doing what you tell me to :-) )...

BR,
    Flavio.
  • halides wrote:
    rv0 wrote:@Halides

Could you please coordinate with Vincent to create an official github page for the code from viewtopic.php?f=17&t=180&start=10#p2391

and then start from there? That way other developers can file merge requests and such, this would speed up development eventually
    Hi rv0!

I am wondering how many people actually have a functional development environment? It took me 20+ hours to get the toolchain working properly, you need to solder connectors, have a Arduino board or an FTDI, need to edit a bunch of text files to be able to burn the firmware. I just checked and I can just edit stuff in the Arduino 1.0.1 IDE and hit "Upload" and it works, but it wasn't that easy to set it up.

I'll create a repository for the project soon.

.p
    Hi Halides welcome back.

Uhm you really don't need to do all that stuff per se (although it helps develop and deploy faster).
    I just installed the arduino ide (1.0.6 OSX), and the needed libraries, went to prefs and checked "verbose output", that way the path to the tmp folder with compiled hex is shown, that hex should be convertable to syx and you could upload that to the yocto right away, I guess (untested).
    I did lose some time before I realized I needed the old IDE, but other than that it was really quick to set up.

I think I can help translating the French comments to English ;) Other than that I can just suggest and test.
    Get the latest unofficial Yocto V1 firmware here.
    Be sure to check the revised manual.
    Leave your comments in this thread.
  • setting up a normal avr toolchain (no arduino bullsh*t) is very easy
    avrgcc, avrdude, and an IDE of your choice (i use Code::Blocks)

however, the lack of information about the bootloader doesn't make this easy, and tbh i hate sysex-based bootloaders for this kind of thing because the data speed is so slow
  • antto wrote: however, the lack of information about the bootloader doesn't make this easy
    how do you mean? the sourcecode is posted somewhere on this forum ( pasted from local: http://pastebin.com/0mCRWbu6 )

seems like a mix of custom yocto specific code and stuff from elsewhre ("Serial Bootloader for Atmel megaAVR Controllers")
    Get the latest unofficial Yocto V1 firmware here.
    Be sure to check the revised manual.
    Leave your comments in this thread.