Official Yocto BUGS list

Discuss use it and firmware update
  • antto wrote:
    FlavioB wrote:Hi ppl.
    Seems to be a "dead end" here... nobody taking care of bugs, nobody doing some corrections/fixed on the code...
    Did Vincent give up?
    that doesn't matter, but i think it was clear that the firmware is abandoned long ago
    Well, it somehow matters to me that the originator of this pretty device abandons the firmware and also somehow avoids to release the source code for it.
    It's pretty much pissing off to have a Yocto with quite a lot of bugs that nobody is looking into.
    i agree, that's why we tried to gather interest for a complete rewrite, asked questions and asked for collaboration about building a plan for a new firmware - and as you can see - it went nowhere

a bunch of people see a problem, they want it resolved, and they want it now
    but not hard enough
    We can discuss this topic as well: having the "head" of the project disappear (or not taking care anymore of the product, whatever it is) makes it pretty much difficult to coordinate some troubleshooting and problem-solving "team".
    now the situation seems to be going in a different direction
    one guy is working on a rewrite (but no sequencer yet)
    and according to you, another guy is also working on a rewrite?
    A guy started at the beginning of this year (halides I guess is his nickname) but then ran into some serious personal problems (I hope he's recovering!).
    Then another guy came up lately... and "according to me": it's simply a friend of mine who might correct some parts in the code, but without commitment or whatsoever. I would for sure share the code once available - but this doesn't depend on me.
    i was also considering a sorta "personal" rewrite, but knowing that two other people are doing the same thing kinda discourages me
    and i think we are effectively skipping the part where the devs and the users gather around the fire to discuss the overal firmware vision, and to construct a design plan

thus for the results of these "personal" rewrites - my hopes are low.. near zero
    so the stuff i said in the other thread still stands, but now the people will wait on those two other guys and nothing's gonna happen in the other thread
    :|
    I understand what you mean. Nevertheless, there should be somebody taking the lead of this firmware project (both for Yocto and Nava, of course). I'm unable to do this, the only contribution from my side could be some beta-testing and troubleshooting...

BR,
    F.
  • FlavioB wrote:
    antto wrote:
    FlavioB wrote:Hi ppl.
    Seems to be a "dead end" here... nobody taking care of bugs, nobody doing some corrections/fixed on the code...
    Did Vincent give up?
    that doesn't matter, but i think it was clear that the firmware is abandoned long ago
    Well, it somehow matters to me that the originator of this pretty device abandons the firmware and also somehow avoids to release the source code for it.
    It's pretty much pissing off to have a Yocto with quite a lot of bugs that nobody is looking into.
    i agree, that's why we tried to gather interest for a complete rewrite, asked questions and asked for collaboration about building a plan for a new firmware - and as you can see - it went nowhere

a bunch of people see a problem, they want it resolved, and they want it now
    but not hard enough
    We can discuss this topic as well: having the "head" of the project disappear (or not taking care anymore of the product, whatever it is) makes it pretty much difficult to coordinate some troubleshooting and problem-solving "team".
    now the situation seems to be going in a different direction
    one guy is working on a rewrite (but no sequencer yet)
    and according to you, another guy is also working on a rewrite?
    A guy started at the beginning of this year (halides I guess is his nickname) but then ran into some serious personal problems (I hope he's recovering!).
    Then another guy came up lately... and "according to me": it's simply a friend of mine who might correct some parts in the code, but without commitment or whatsoever. I would for sure share the code once available - but this doesn't depend on me.
    i was also considering a sorta "personal" rewrite, but knowing that two other people are doing the same thing kinda discourages me
    and i think we are effectively skipping the part where the devs and the users gather around the fire to discuss the overal firmware vision, and to construct a design plan

thus for the results of these "personal" rewrites - my hopes are low.. near zero
    so the stuff i said in the other thread still stands, but now the people will wait on those two other guys and nothing's gonna happen in the other thread
    :|
    I understand what you mean. Nevertheless, there should be somebody taking the lead of this firmware project (both for Yocto and Nava, of course). I'm unable to do this, the only contribution from my side could be some beta-testing and troubleshooting...

BR,
    F.
    Vincent has released the source code. I put it up on github:
    https://github.com/HomoElectromagneticus/Yocto_808
    Another user here has a copy on gitlab, where he has addressed some timing problems in expander mode.

Other people working on the code should not discourage you! Fork the project, make a pull request, file an issue, have at it! That's what public repositories are for!
  • Thanks.
    Is there any thread which summarizes and keeps track of who is working on the firmware? I'd like to share that with my friend who might work on it too...
    F.
  • FlavioB wrote:Thanks.
    Is there any thread which summarizes and keeps track of who is working on the firmware? I'd like to share that with my friend who might work on it too...
    F.
    jvq's GitLab repo is available here: https://gitlab.com/jacobvosmaer/yocto-firmware
  • helectromagneticus wrote:
    FlavioB wrote:Thanks.
    F.
    jvq's GitLab repo is available here: https://gitlab.com/jacobvosmaer/yocto-firmware
    Thanks - so there is where we all should work on, right?
    F.
  • It doesn't really matter at the point.

For what it's worth, I do plan on merging jvq's expander mode fix into my github project.
  • Ok. Are you aiming at a code rewrite?
    Or would you just correct/fix the existing bugs?
    F.
  • helectromagneticus wrote:Other people working on the code should not discourage you! Fork the project, make a pull request, file an issue, have at it! That's what public repositories are for!
    discouraging was not the right word
    basically, i wrote a bunch of things which explain my position better in another thread in this subforum, but it went silent
    i don't like arduino crap and i don't want to learn it, thus i will be one of the last people who would fork the original firmware
    my whole plan was about writing a firmware from scratch, in C++ or C (without too fancy language crap), but not without having a clear sequencer/interface design plan first
    i have very limited time, and also another similar project which is of higher priority, so i want to eliminate potential brickwalls and fooling around with design dillemas during the developement/implementation process
    so i asked for cooperation from other people (including users) about thoughts and discussion which would eventually morph into a clearer idea about how a yocto sequencer could look like, so that a more detailed plan can be sketched out
    that didn't go far tho

in contrast, for the other firmware i work on (n0nx0x2), i had where to steal the basic idea from in the beginning - from the original sequencer, with which i was familiar due to previous projects

sadly i cannot apply the same "cheat" to the yocto, since i do not have a familiarity with the 808 sequencer.. thus if i decide to go this route (in order to avoid waiting for the community to start discussing ideas), i could rely on the ideas of the original sequencer BUT i'd have to learn and study it first, and that's assuming that there are no technical (hardware or so) differences between the 808 and yocto which would render that impossible/difficult (like missing buttons, LEDs, etc)
  • antto wrote: i have very limited time, and also another similar project which is of higher priority, so i want to eliminate potential brickwalls and fooling around with design dillemas during the developement/implementation process
    Uh! Oh! What kind of project is this one? Can you talk about it?