*solved* Shift button is permanently stuck on now. Halp

Discuss Yocto construction and related issues
  • "Shift" button could be stuck by the metal case.

Best regards,
    e-licktronic
    Best regards,
    e-licktronic
  • Thanks for the reply, i have the pcbs removed from the case and it is still behaving this way. The switch itself still appears to function correctly physically but it has no effect electronically, the rest of the machine acts as though the shift button is being held.
  • Sawwaveanalog wrote:Thanks for the reply, i have the pcbs removed from the case and it is still behaving this way. The switch itself still appears to function correctly physically but it has no effect electronically, the rest of the machine acts as though the shift button is being held.
    Check voltage value at IC7 pin 12 you should have 0v. If it's not the case , desolder the shift button and measure again, if you still have a value different to 0v at IC7 pin12, look for a solder bridge or a bend resistor touching an other.

Best regards,
    e-licktronic
    Best regards,
    e-licktronic
  • Hey, thanks for the advice again, I had some bad stuff in the real world happen right after you posted so I didn't have a chance to try your suggestions until tonight and here are the results:

There is +5v at pin 12 of ic7 at all times

I then desoldered and removed the shift button and there was no change, there is still +5v on pin 12 of ic7.

I am looking around and don't see any obvious bent parts/bridged connections, I'm at a big of a loss. The thing was working perfectly for a year and then my friend slightly hit the table it was on and now it is very sad...

Any other suggestions of where I should be looking would be very much appreciated
  • with the yocto powered down, measure the resistance from pin12 to pin16 (VCC)
    if it's pretty much zero ohms - then you have a short somewhere.. if it's a higher value then maybe a resistor is just slightly touching somewhere..
  • Resistance between pin 12 and pin 16 on ic 7 is 71 ohms. I still have absolutely no clue what is wrong. No resistors in the sequencer section are visibly touching and ive blasted everything with air for minutes.

This thing worked perfectly for over a year, and then a slight bump of the table caused this. I'm at a loss.
  • 71 ohms won't let too much current flow, so that's good, otherwise, a full short would cause something else to heat up a lot
    now, if you don't see a resistor touching somewhere, then maybe it could be inside the shift register
    if the shift register (IC7) is socketed - remove it from the socket, and check resistance between the two points on the board again
    if the resistance is still ~71 ohms then the problem is certainly somewhere on the board
    if the resistance is towards infinity - then the problem is in the shift register (busted probably) - get a replacement and plug it in
  • antto wrote:71 ohms won't let too much current flow, so that's good, otherwise, a full short would cause something else to heat up a lot
    now, if you don't see a resistor touching somewhere, then maybe it could be inside the shift register
    if the shift register (IC7) is socketed - remove it from the socket, and check resistance between the two points on the board again
    if the resistance is still ~71 ohms then the problem is certainly somewhere on the board
    if the resistance is towards infinity - then the problem is in the shift register (busted probably) - get a replacement and plug it in

Hey, it has been a while (again lol) but I finaly got back to the yocto today and desoldered ic7, resistance betwee pins 12 and 16 on the ic out of circuit is still 73 ohms, resistance between those points on the board is 15k ohms and climing. Soooo the shift register ic is dead yeah??

Thanks again for all of your help, I'm ordering another one now
  • Sawwaveanalog wrote:
    antto wrote:71 ohms won't let too much current flow, so that's good, otherwise, a full short would cause something else to heat up a lot

Hey, it has been a while (again lol) but I finaly got back to the yocto today and desoldered ic7, resistance betwee pins 12 and 16 on the ic out of circuit is still 73 ohms, resistance between those points on the board is 15k ohms and climing. Soooo the shift register ic is dead yeah??

Thanks again for all of your help, I'm ordering another one now
    Order a few extras. Also order other IC's (they're not that expensive). It's frustrating to order just one and then needing two...