Useful Building Tips

Discuss Yocto construction and related issues
  • Slide Switch grounding tip

Version 1.0 PCB.

Slide switches are not connected to the 0V/Gnd area of the PCB. Some people notice extra noise from the ungrounded metal from the slide switches.

If you have a powered down PCB, a simple continuity check would tell if you have a issue between the mounting legs and the 0V/Gnd area. You can verify ground to the pot mount area that you want to use to connect your switches..

With the slide switches soldered in, solder a small jumper wire between 1 of the 4 mounting legs to one of the next switches legs. Chain them from right to left, attaching the final mounting leg to the ground position you select.

An alternative method would be run from a single switch mounting leg to the nearest pot mount on the same channel.

Verify that it makes connection, and again shortest wire length posible.
  • This is useful. thanks for sharing.
  • In Building guide, Snare Drum part 47K resistor says there's 3 items to be placed, only 2 positions available. R234 needs to be added to that.
  • Kazper wrote:Cowbell Tip

Version 1.0 PCB, skip the listed values and stuff the following parts:

R44= 100K
    R45= 68K

Skip trying to adjust via scope, use a DMM set to HZ and adjust the following to ground.

TM1= 526-540HZ
    TM2= 800HZ

Clap should sound like it should...

What do you mean "adjust the following to ground"

Do you probe R44&45 or the actual Trimmers?
  • just like in the build guide, but instead with a scope you use the DMM
  • thanks datajam, my DMM doesnt have a hz setting so I'm fine with a scope. But my question was "Do you probe R44&45 or the actual Trimmers?".

So if you are correct in your answer and its the same as the build guide then you probe + to R44&45 ;)

I did this and trimmed the pots to the fundamental frequ, TM1= 526-540HZ (Probe @ R44) & TM2= 800HZ (Probe @ R45).
  • For Middle-Tom : R290 and R291 are not in the Build Guide R290 should be 47K, R291 should be 470K.
    Any reason for them not to be in the build instructions?

EDIT : Nevermind, they are to be found in the High-Tom build.
  • Very useful tips. Thanks for sharing.
  • Great tips. I will definitely try them for my last batch v1.0 kit! Thanks