is there anyway we can make Hi-hat sound louder?

Discuss Yocto construction and related issues
  • metel909 wrote:
    if i put bigger value of resistor instead 1k, it will work ??
    I don't think so.

If I'm right it is a classic low-pass filter inverting cell opamp.The transfert function equation is -(Z2/Z1) where Z2 is ((C83 serial (xVR8)) // (C82) // (R161)) and Z1 is R162. You could increase R161 to get more gain but this may affect the cut off frequency you'll have to compute the new value for C82 if you want to keep the same as before. The easiest is to lower R162 and you will be able get more gain.
    Awaiting confirmation.
  • electrosymphony wrote:
    metel909 wrote:
    if i put bigger value of resistor instead 1k, it will work ??
    I don't think so.

If I'm right it is a classic low-pass filter inverting cell opamp.The transfert function equation is -(Z2/Z1) where Z2 is ((C83 serial (xVR8)) // (C82) // (R161)) and Z1 is R162. You could increase R161 to get more gain but this may affect the cut off frequency you'll have to compute the new value for C82 if you want to keep the same as before. The easiest is to lower R162 and you will be able get more gain.
    Awaiting confirmation.

dammm... lack of information in electronics...ahah !!

i just watched this video from youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FYHt5X ... Lf&index=1[/video]

it was very much worth it to watch all 50 mins !!

however, i will try to put lower value of resistor in R162 tonight and let you know about result !

thank you so much electrosymphony ! :) :) :) :)
  • Okay here is the result !!

I Changed R162 (33K Resistor) to 10K Resistor !

for the A/B test

1st

i set the Closed HH volume pot as full clockwise and test

33K gave me around 13dB peak

10K gave me around 10dB peak

2nd

same setting but add full clockwise accent and test

33K gave me around 10dB peak on full accent

10K gave me around 7dB peak on full accent

so it gave me roughly around 3dB more gain !!!!

almost 3 times smaller value difference between 33K and 10K so it gave me 3dB more gain?

is it logical way of thinking ?

however, it works !

now i'm tempting to do this job for cowbell, handclap and Open HH too

thanks for the sharing your knowledge electrosymphony !!!

Cheers !
  • almost 3 times smaller value difference between 33K and 10K so it gave me 3dB more gain?

is it logical way of thinking ?
    No if you talk in dB. Gain of amplifier in dB is 20*log(Vout/Vin).
    For example if your linear gain is 10 (means your output is 10 times your input) your gain in dB is 20dB, and for a ratio of 100 you have 40dB.
    There are a lot of different dB measurements it can be confusing. ;)
  • metel909 wrote: I Changed R162 (33K Resistor) to 10K Resistor !
    My closed HiHat sounds a bit lower than all other instruments and I also intend to increase its gain.
    I was about to lower the value of R172* (1k output resistor) as I was advised in an other thread, but it doesn't seem to be the right way.

metel909, are you satisfied with your mod ? Did you keep 10k resistor in the end, or did you choose a different value ?
    Can anyone confirm this is the best way to do this mod ? ... just would like to be sure.
    Last edited by DeepVibes on Jan 15th, '15, 22:55, edited 2 times in total.
  • [My closed HiHat sounds a bit lower than all other instruments and I also intend to increase its gain.
    I was about to lower the value of 1k output resistor as I was advised in an other thread, but it doesn't seem to be the right way.
    Yeah that was me i'm afraid... sorry mate that was my bad.
    :oops:
  • No worries Ikke, I didn't have time to do the mod since your post anyway, so I take advantage of this thread to get more info :)
  • Ah,cool DeepVibes!
    I hope you find a good solution in this thread.
    8-)
  • DeepVibes wrote:
    metel909 wrote: I Changed R162 (33K Resistor) to 10K Resistor !
    My closed HiHat sounds a bit lower than all other instruments and I also intend to increase its gain.
    I was about to lower the value of R172* (1k output resistor) as I was advised in an other thread, but it doesn't seem to be the right way.

metel909, are you satisfied with your mod ? Did you keep 10k resistor in the end, or did you choose a different value ?
    Can anyone confirm this is the best way to do this mod ? ... just would like to be sure.

Hi DeepVibes~

sorry for late reply !

however, yes i'm still keep 10K resistor on my closed high hat.

so same mod as this boosting closed high hat gain, i applied to my cowbell as well and it work !!!

in cowbell, i changed R117 22K resistor to 120K resistor !

this time i have to increase a Resistor value ...

i don't know this is right way to mod i cannot guarantee but it works.. :? :? :?

for the cowbell i was changed resistor value lower than 22K at the first same as like High hat...

the result was horrible.. i cannot even hear the cowbell sound.. so at the second time, i have to increased resistor value..

i am very beginner at electronics.. so i have to just give it a shot.. hahahah