Comparison between an Original 808 and the Yocto 808

Discuss Yocto construction and related issues
  • Dear discodisco,

Great Job you've done ;)
    We noticed this tuning difference between Yocto and the original 808. This is due to the capacitor aging.
    So if you want to tune your Yocto as your friend's TR-808 you need to change the following resistor:
    • BD tuning : R165 (increase or decrease depend your friend's TR-808 BD tuning)
      SD tuning : R195 and R196
      SD noise filter : R202
      Low Tom tuning: R228
      Middle Tom tuning : R257
      High Tom tuning : R284
      Clave/Rim tuning : R315 and R312
      Cowbell Decay : R63* and R65*
      Cymbal noise filter : R56* and R58*
      HH noise filter : R58* common with Cymbal
    Finally, how can i de-crease the decay on the BD - the original limit is fine...
    Do not turn the decay pot FCW :D

Best regards,
    e-licktronic
    Best regards,
    e-licktronic
  • discodisco, I would like to know if you remember what frequency/note the 808 BD sine was at. I have some nice 808 samples lying around, and will run them through a scope too, but it would be nice to have a number from an original 808 for reference.
  • Hi ElSchtroumpf,

I will get a chance to borrow the original 808 again in a couple weeks. I will measure the pitch range of all the parts then and get back to you.
    It is a very nice 808.
  • Hi DiscoDisco,
    I would also be interested in the values of the TR of your friend. I borrowed one from a friend but I am not sure if it is well tuned, its tuning differs a bit from what I heard.
    It could also be interesting to create a sample bank with a sample of each instrument for each min/mid/max parameter value (total of 30 samples) as reference.
  • Unless you already know this TR-808 resource site, you might be interested in this complete free sample pack : http://smd-records.com/tr808/?page_id=14
    Hope this helps.
  • Thanks DeepVibes! I did not know that one. Those samples will be quite helpful!
  • I have also spent some time comparing my original 808 with my Yocto. Kinda same conclusions as the thread starter.
    Mainly small differences in pitch/tuning but overall spot on. (This is also true between most real 808's). Also as spoken the Cowbell has less decay.

Here's mine VS my tr-808

Must be logged in to Soundcloud to listen.
    https://soundcloud.com/lostyears/yocto- ... 08/s-3M2HW
  • I've kind of missed out on this thread! Very interesting!
    I"d love to change some resistors values!
    So did someone try Vincent's advices?
    Any resistor values you found?
  • e-licktronic wrote: Clave/Rim tuning : R315 and R312
    It's actually R310 (for OSC1 of RS) and R308 (for OSC2 of RS/CL) that adjust the Clave/Rim Tuning.

And although the Rimshot uses both oscillators, while the Clave uses only oscillator #2, just changing R308 (for OSC2) works great for adjusting the tuning of both sounds.