r 151 accent resistor burns

Discuss Yocto construction and related issues
  • What is BCN? Still not working but the resistor doesn't burn this time?
  • Indeed doesnt burn this time

Don't know what BCN is, here's a datasheet http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/149/4011BC-196129.pdf
    looked similar enough to me, but who am I to judge ;) It's the only 4011 chip my supplier had
    Get the latest unofficial Yocto V1 firmware here.
    Be sure to check the revised manual.
    Leave your comments in this thread.
  • jeroenbvo wrote:Success,

I had the same issue with R151. I also had a 4011BE from the 10HMAND batch.
    Same here. Had a 4011BE at home and now it works without the smell:)
  • jooks wrote:
    jeroenbvo wrote:Success,

I had the same issue with R151. I also had a 4011BE from the 10HMAND batch.
    Same here. Had a 4011BE at home and now it works without the smell:)
    Mine had the same issue--- burnt R151 and general weirdness/loss of sound with the Accent knob up. I replaced the 4011 with a $1.00 NTE-branded one from my local electronics store and everything works perfectly now.
    My cowbell sounds a little off, but I'm not a big fan of the 808 cowbell and think I prefer the sound of mine so will not bother investigating.
    This thing sounds great!
  • For the cowbell to sound like the 808 you probably need to do the resistor swap mentioned in the other thread. It doesn't seem to reach the needed values when you trim with the original resistor values.
  • Hi everybody,

I had the same problem, R151 burned...

The 4011 IC with 10HMAND batch number is a counterfeit one, the TI logo on it is a very bad imitation...

What a shame to sell a kit with counterfeit ICs, I can't believe it. It gives a poor image of DIY, especially when beginners are building it and spend a lot of energy thinking they have done a bad job, when finally the problems comes from a crap IC....

Selling an electronic kit on the web is a commercial business, this is serious and the customers must be respected!

:cry:
  • I don't think Vincent had any bad intentions here and sourced his parts in good faith. When you source parts over internet, you will always have the possibility to come across something bad, specially in large quantities.

This kit is well made and with 1500+ parts, normally not a project you do when you start your electronics hobby.
    Anyway, that is why we have a forum, so we can help each other.

Stay positive, get a 20 cent replacement 4011 and enjoy the sounds of this iconic machine! :D
  • No, it will not happen if sourced near trusted suppliers, even in large quantities, otherwise electronic industry will be in big trouble... And the least thing to do is checking before shipping.
  • Just to say that I had the exact same issue with the CD4011BE of that 10HMAND serie. Replacing it by a new one resolved the issue.

Regarding fake components, this is very unfortunate for the reasons you mentioned Pato. Maybe this could have been double-checked. But keep in mind this even happens in military equipments...