I need some help fault finding my Yocto.

Discuss Yocto construction and related issues
  • Dear Craigwiliamsmusic,

:shock: It's a lots of problem...

First i think you need to check PSU on all section and GND on all sections it seems to be a ground problem.
    craigwilliamsmusic wrote:Master Volume
    The Volume is very very quiet but the individual outs are at full
    volume.
    1.Test with an headphone or a amplifier computer speaker(better with a scope) the signal present on pin 1of MST connector
    craigwilliamsmusic wrote:Sequencer
    It just plays every not on (16th) on the sequencer.
    2.It's a problem with the common trig. Which instruments are 16th played? all instruments ?
    craigwilliamsmusic wrote:Bass Drum
    kick has no decay, the low tom has more decay than the kick.
    I know it's not going to be like a modified 808 but it sounds thinner and smaller than I think it should.
    edit - i just listened to the samples provided by e-licktronics and yes my kick is not even close.
    3. Check R164, R168, R169, C43, VR6 value. Is U12 right powered ?
    craigwilliamsmusic wrote:Mid Tom -
    self oscillates when above anything other than the lowest tuning. mid conga is fine
    No idea, need a sample to check what 's happen.
    craigwilliamsmusic wrote:Maracas/Handclap
    all i get is a constant white noise, no gating at all.
    Do you have same sound if you switch between Maracas and Handclap ? Check GND on this section.

I really think it's a faulty ground connection because it's not possible that you burn components on each section.
    Could you post HD picture of PCB solder face ?

Best regards,
    e-licktronic
    Best regards,
    e-licktronic
  • Ok thank you. Ill go through these and report back.
  • Hi Craig,

I compiled a list of strategies for troubleshooting DIY-Problems on my Yocto Blog:

http://tr-bob.tumblr.com/

With a bunch of links and quotes from more experienced users:

http://tr-bob.tumblr.com/post/824683952 ... leshooting

First of all: don't despair. When something goes wrong, you learn! and that's why you went DIY in the first place, right? so it's working! ;-)

You'll get there - I never seriously thought I would when I unpacked the Yocto and all its 1500 parts...!

Enjoy!
  • Thank you for getting back to me so fast. I'm just going to try and knock these problems off one by one.
    e-licktronic wrote:Dear Craigwiliamsmusic,

:shock: It's a lots of problem...

First i think you need to check PSU on all section and GND on all sections it seems to be a ground problem.
    Are you talking about the ground wire from the IO board to the Main Board?
    craigwilliamsmusic wrote:Sequencer
    It just plays every not on (16th) on the sequencer.
    e-licktronic wrote:2.It's a problem with the common trig. Which instruments are 16th played? all instruments ?
    Yes its all the sounds.
    craigwilliamsmusic wrote:Bass Drum
    kick has no decay, the low tom has more decay than the kick.
    I know it's not going to be like a modified 808 but it sounds thinner and smaller than I think it should.
    edit - i just listened to the samples provided by e-licktronics and yes my kick is not even close.
    e-licktronic wrote:3. Check R164, R168, R169, C43, VR6 value. Is U12 right powered ?
    Ok I just checked the bass drum parts. R169 is 41.5K rather than 47K and U12 is now showing -14.36V and +14.39.
  • Dear,

Download full schematic and check GND all on your boards with Ground Pad as reference.
    Do the same thing on the IO boards.

Best regards,
    e-licktronic
    Best regards,
    e-licktronic
  • Ok so I have been going through this thing like crazy. I changed out that resistor but the kick still sounds the same and I can't find a problem with the ground just yet. I'm still going through the modules. Here are some sounds to show the errors I have been talking about.

I have made some comments so you can hear and see what is going on.

Also the master volume is still very very quiet.

here is the sc link just incase embedding doesn't work

https://soundcloud.com/craigwilliamsmus ... ds/s-TSNK5
    Last edited by craigwilliamsmusic on Apr 21st, '14, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
  • Hm, it seems the track is not available to be embedded, only on soundcloud directly.

There seem to be a number of problems. I think the smallest is the cowbell -- there, it seems you only need to tune the two trimpots to 1.85 ms and 1.25 ms pulses respectively (check the documentation in the cymbal section: http://www.e-licktronic.com/en/content/34-cymbal)

Everywhere else I'd advise you to go through the sections, part by part and make sure that *everything* is the correct values. I attached an XLS sheet for the handclap and high tom sections, where you can go through the parts and check them off. I think you don't need high tom -- but I'm hoping someone else might..;-)

I think you should start debugging the kick, because that is pretty self contained, whereas the handclap utilizes opamps in other sections, for example.

hope this helps...! good luck!
    Attachments
    Downloaded 445 times
    Downloaded 447 times
  • thanks Misa i'll keep going through it and see if i can see anything wrong.
  • Mid tom issue: Could you check with a scope (or sound card scope) trig signal on Q54 emitter when sequencer isn't running and when it does.
    Bd issue: Check C43 polarity
    Cowbell issue: Need tune
    Maracas/clap issue: trim TM3, is it changing the volume of noise source ?
    HH issue: Is cymbal working ? could you check noise source on U3 Pin7 with a headphone or/and scope.

Hope it will help us to solve some of your problems :roll:

Best regards,
    e-licktronic
    Best regards,
    e-licktronic