Yocto PCB only

Discuss Yocto construction and related issues
  • Dear Husk,

After this batch (Fourth batch) we provide only half Yocto kit (PCBs + no common part +Uc).

Best regards,
    e-licktronic
    Best regards,
    e-licktronic
  • Hi Husk,

why are you saying "cheap parts" and what did you do to break them?

I found the parts included in my kit all working well. also in a 1500 parts kit, I think there were about 3 resistors missing and one extra diode, something that was easily fixed but it amazed me how meticulous the counting and packing must have been.

Just curious what makes you say that.
  • Very thin wire resistors, several broke when bending, the caps are cheap not high quality nichicon or panasonics, a couple of the germanium diodes broke also easily replaced with BAT46's though. I understand that more expensive parts would put the price of the kit up substantially though. I ended up using mostly my own parts in the end.
  • Dear e-licktronic.

I want to purchase "only half Yocto kit (PCBs + no common part +Uc)".
    Is it available this month?

kind regards,
  • @Husk:

On my side, the only major issue I had with the components was the counterfeit CD4011. I measured all resistors and caps, they were within tolerance limits. However component tolerance implied some tuning, adapting a few resistor and cap values. I will continue comparisons with other TR-808s but the Yocto clearly stands comparison.

I bought additional carbon resistors at mouser which showed the exact same body and thin leads. I also bought caps of high quality brands (nichicon, panasonic, wima) for my own stock and replacement parts but for now I did not feel the need to "upgrade" the caps of the Yocto.

I would not say the same on some other circuits. For instance, I tested some capacitor brands/models on my own VP330 choir filter replica, for which there clearly is a sound difference. In the context of the TR-808 design, the difference will be less relevant for many of the capacitors.

From my experience with the Yocto kit, I would say that adding to the kit one or two resistors&caps of each value and one or two transistors of each type would let the builder make better impairments, as well as a few extra values for resistors and caps to adjust tuning could be helpful.

Did you notice parts which once replaced led to a positive impact on the sound?
  • Hi e-licktronic,

Any plans on selling the PCBs only any time soon?

Very interested.

Thanks!
  • We have a B-stock of damaged PCBs during delivery. Only one PCB corner is damaged which does not affect the operation. If you want one, please contact at:
    contact@e-licktronic.com
    Price is 69,95€ + shipping for both PCBs.

Best regards,
    e-licktronic
    Best regards,
    e-licktronic
  • I've just sent you an email.

Thanks!