Finished assembly, but not working..

Discuss Yocto construction and related issues
  • Hi Fella,

How’s your Yocto? Have you managed to sort out your sequencer yet?
  • Nope, testing with an arduino is the suggested course of action, so I might have to get one of those. ..
  • Have you tried replacing your 74HC595N ICs? My sequencer was doing weird things and replacing these sorted it.
  • 4teenth wrote:Nope, testing with an arduino is the suggested course of action, so I might have to get one of those. ..
    Sorry to here that :cry:

I would second Krisbo’s comment and replace the IC’s in your sequencer section first, as this would be relatively cheap and quick (not the µC obviously). Bearing in mind during your first power up some IC’s were not fully soldered they may have been damaged. Use IC sockets too, if you have not already done so.

Good luck fella.
  • I second the use of sockets too. I never directly solder chips so they can be easily switched out if needed
  • Wish I had socketed - removing and replacing the first 74HC595N was a real ordeal :(
  • I usually wire a 2-5 oz fishing weight to an ic puller or directly to the ic i need to remove. It keeps pressure on the ic and frees your hands for the soldering iron and pump. An all in one solder vacuum gun like the hakko 808 was one of the best purchases I ever made for stuff like this.
  • Right,

ordering 3 more 74HC595N's and 3 sockets.

Ready to get back in the game..

*deep breath*

:shock:
  • Soooo... After yet another ordeal of unsoldering chips and replacing with sockets and replacement 74HC595Ns I'm almost back to where i was -

~LEDS 1-8 are lit, and pressing buttons 1,3 and 5 *sometimes* makes all the LEDs flash once very briefly.

However, when i push button 1, i don't get a full 5v at pin 11 of IC2 - i had to make a manual join between pin 11 on ic2 and button 1 after doing the replacement as i wasn't getting continuity between them..

:?: