Finished assembly, but not working..

Discuss Yocto construction and related issues
  • e-licktronic wrote:
    4teenth wrote:Soooo... After yet another ordeal of unsoldering chips and replacing with sockets and replacement 74HC595Ns I'm almost back to where i was -
    So your problem is not with 75hc595s, maybe the problem come form the 74hc165. Try to change IC3 too. If this chip doesn t work properly all the chained 74HC165 chips wouldn t work because it s the first. Have a look.

A little courage you are to the goal of having an operational Yocto ;)

My mistake, it's the 74HC165's that i have socketed and replaced - IC2, IC7 and IC8.

I'm going to have a little tinker to get +5V at pin 11 of IC2 when I press step button one and then test everything again, and then i guess the next step is to socket and replace IC3 ?

Also, annoyingly it seems all the flipping the board over has broken one of the ribbon connectors :oops:
  • 4teenth
    I know it's pretty basic but are you sure your sequencer ICs are in the right direction? I had a similar problem on one IC..
  • Well,

I finally plucked up the courage to replace the remaining ICs in the sequencer section, this time soldering sockets first (which I wish I had done in the first place..)

And then, after replacing JP4 (turning the board over and over had led to a couple of the wires breaking, I ended up replacing the ribbon with a 5 pairs of wires), I switched it on and was delighted to see that I had what seemed to be a working sequencer!

Everything seems to be working correctly - init EEPROM, edit pattern, play track etc, apart from step 1 button either does not work or toggles on and off if I hold it down, hopefully this should be easy to fix.

Sooo... Although the sequencer section is working, it seems I'm going to have a lot of troubleshooting to do within the actual instruments - right now, instruments only sound if there is an accent on that step, and apart from the cowbell, cymbal, and open and closed hats, I get no noise at all out of any of the others.

The handclap makes a constant quiet noise if I have its volume up, and weirdy I get a constant quiet tone if I switch one of the tom switches to conga, and touch the metal of the switch.. Weird...

But at least I'm not at the dead end I was before though - I managed to have a quick little hi-hat jam to celebrate! 8-)