Exploring other enclosure options.

Discuss Yocto construction and related issues
  • Hello, this solution sounds ok but, the more expensive is to cut the front panel as you may know, and if you add shipping cost to the price of hammond box and then cutting it s around 150/200 euros euros for one boxe ... wich is expensive for me.

hopefully if somebody can cut you the panel he can also do the box (simplest part I think) , and so you only pay one shipping, at the same time, you can ask for rustol or epoxy paint and maybe silfscreen for the panel. the main thing is to order MORE than one boxe at a time

For example if I want a metal enclosure cutted/painted I will ask here if someone want to order with me, I think 10 or 20 enclosure is doable to handle for me, and I can send it anyplace in europe.

If I can't find nobody I think I ll go for the hammond box, silkscreen in my art school, drill is ok to me but cutting square or rectangular holes is really hard to do neatly (dremel seems to be the best for common people, and I have this tool), and a lot of patience.

again I m sorry for my english I hope not to say too silly stuff, I mean I try to be serious but when you learn english on TV ...

the factory I have been working with last year is Oxcisaille , located in north of france (20km from my studio) , so I can get in touch with them and let you know, tomorow I can take the time to do it.
  • Indeed, pOulp, I have just sent an email to ask about pricing for cutting several enclosures. I will post their answer as soon as I get it. I think they'll be more interested in making 20-30 enclosures than making just one.

A company that does cutting AND silkscreen would be better though.
  • for the silkscreen I ve asked to a friend who runs a silkscreen studio , I m waiting for his answer but I think he s not cheap as he make print for artist more than general stuff ... just give a try.

In another way I m looking to buy some silkscreen device for my studio, most of us (we are 6 artists working in my place of 600 m²) would definitly need it one day or another, fanzine edition or artist books, so ... I just wait for a good opportunity, and go for it.

I haven't contact oxcisaille yet, I ve been working this morning but this afternoon I ll do it.
  • I've had a reply from the company I contacted. They prefer production of at least 10 units, and in inox instead of black coated aluminum, which I don't find very interesting.

I've found another laser cutting company through google who have their own printing machinery, I will see what they have to say.
  • on my side, no return from oxcisaille, it's winter holiday here, so maybe some of their seller are out skiing ... I ll retry tomorrow.
  • I think I have finally found a good solution for the enclosure alternative. I have contacted a company that does laser cutting, bending as well as printing... actually they have experience with enclosures since they make them for Rodec and Sherman. I will send them the files so they can make an offer. If they can make a good deal for several units I will probably start a new thread to see how many people would be interested.
  • Id be interested in a metal enclosure if it was under $300 all said and done.
  • I heard back from the company I contacted, apparently the guy I wrote to was on holiday and only handed over the necessary files to the people who make the actual design yesterday. I hope to have some news soon.
  • I m really busy right now, but I ll keep that enclosure in mind don't worry