Exploring other enclosure options.

Discuss Yocto construction and related issues
  • To answer some questions, I had them make up a design based on the size of the overlay, so as small as possible. I asked them for a finished product, a 2 piece black enclosure with printing, that would just require screws for mounting the pcb and closing it all up.

One detail I am not sure about yet is the power supply options. The easiest way would be to just use the cutting layout for the rear acryl panel, but I am still considering putting in a transformer, so I would have them make 2 more cutouts, one for a screw-on C14 socket and a switch. I'm also thinking about having them make 1 more screwhole for attaching one of those cable holders right above or below the hole of the 15V input.That last option just seems logical to me should you want to use the Yocto in a live setup. Any feedback on these ideas would be appreciated.

I should be hearing from the company the next few days, and I will try to get a render of the enclosure so there's something to look at.

The next step would be figuring out payment/shipping, since I can't afford to buy 10 enclosures at once, regardless of what they will cost.
  • Hi ElSchtroumpf,

About the payment you could go via Paypal with the fees on top of the price.
    Where are you based?
  • I'm from Belgium, so shipping inside EU would be fairly easy and cheap. US is possible too, but that will be pricier.

Paypal would be the easiest way to go.
  • Personally i think it would be easier if the rear panel married up exactly to the connectors on the IO board including the AC 2.1mm power socket. The transformer i have (from ESR) is relatively bulky and may not fit inside the case, plus as it is already in its own plastic case might overheat when placed inside another enclosure. Many will have different transformers.. ElSchtroumpf - make it suit what you want, but I think its easier and safer others keep the mains transformer outside. A rear power switch would be nice though (although again, difficult to standardize).

Looking fwd to seeing the front panel design. Thanks!
  • @ElSchtroumpf I would be interested in case if you get them made, If it isnt too much higher than a £100. I am yet to build a yocto, just waiting on the 4th batch kits to become available so I haven't got much idea about design, but having the power supply external sounds less complicated.
  • @ElSchtroumpf

Count me in for a metal enclosure group buy too!

Hammond also makes sloped enclosures with walnut sides. Very pretty, but probably more expensive as well...

Rvk
  • So I got an email from Facim. Apparently they used a wrong measurement for the depth so the final price will probably be a little higher than what they put in the offer. Right now it would cost around 130€ for manufacturing, which won't go up a lot, since they used 200mm instead of the 250mm I asked for depth. Width would be 400mm, which is just a little bit bigger than the overlay.

Some details that won't change : they use a 2.5mm aluminum/magnesium alloy, that's laser cut, bent and powder coated in black, then printed in 3 colors, based on the overlay file.

As for the switch, I have found a very nice and slim switch which I could buy for each enclosure, as to avoid any problems with size compatibility. Here it is :
    http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/e ... ggest=true

As for the cutouts on the back, I would use the original design, keeping the hole for the 15V adapter, adding the hole for the cable clip below the adapter input, and the cutout for the switch above it. Then add the cutout for the C14 connector in the left bottom corner, looking at the unit from behind. I might not do the cable clip though, since I don't seem to find them anywhere...

As soon as I have a correct offer, I will try to go over the final design at their office, as to be sure of all the details. I will also try to get an exact price for shipping this week.
  • ElSchtroumpf wrote: Some details that won't change : they use a 2.5mm aluminum/magnesium alloy, that's laser cut, bent and powder coated in black, then printed in 3 colors, based on the overlay file.
    I have been working on an overlay that pays a liitle more of a tribute to the original 808 that the one in the kit. See the attached grabs.

If you are interested I would be happy to supply outlined vector artwork... if it not to your taste I fully understand ;)
  • All of this is very nice, thank you for working on this !
    About the printing, can you get a quote for a box without any printing ? I know this might be a hassle for you but we might be several people interested in a version without printing.
    Or if you want I can take care of ordering/managing a printing-less version with your supplier (I don't wan't to bother you too much with this)

The thing with the printing is, there are some informations missing on the current overlay for the yocto.
    For example, the 13 first Steps buttons are used for the "mute" feature. But there are no indication on the overlay which step button corresponds to which sound. Of course you can count from the beginning but it is a hassle(accent is 1, bass drum is 2, snare is 3 etc...) and for example muting the cowbell without counting is nearly impossible...

let me know your thoughts.
    and thanks again for working on this, I'd be glad to help !