Hand Clap Sound problem

Discuss Yocto construction and related issues
  • Hi,
    i got with my own yocto build in a handclap problem. it sounds a bit distorted.
    i have tried to trim the noise between 80 -150mV.
    at the moment i have 120mV from noise.
    TM3 (handclap trimmer) settings dont really help in this case.
    any idea whats happen ?
  • I have checked the outputs of the comparator, this are good.
    I miss the reverb in my clap.
    The ba6110 was swapped to 2 other new parts without success.
    The resistors, trannys, caps was checked for his values too.

Any idea ?
  • Handclap works yet fine.
    After many hours of troubleshooting my scope find the rootcause.
    A trace around Q69 was broken in result of reverb envelope wasn't available.
    If you run in same issues, measure at first the ic23 in/outs described in service manual,
    Check too the connection between q28/29 to q70.
  • hi, I just finished my yocto (bought december 2013... :?) and it was almost ok at first start up (only two bad solder joints!) !
    the hand clap has no reverb on the first couple of hits as its seems to be normal, even on the original 808...
    I read here the design of the hand clap section is different on newer pcb versions... is that right ? is that "problem" still there or has it been corrected ?
    thanks !
  • the handclap area has been reorganized on the PCB (on mine it looks different than on the photos in the build instructions)
    the handclap missing its reverb tail after a long pause is present on the 808, i don't think the PCB reorganization has anything to do with that
  • ok thanks !
    do you know if it is possible to shorten the noise decay in the hand clap (not the noise level) or only by using noise gate on separate outputs ?
  • franzb wrote:ok thanks !
    do you know if it is possible to shorten the noise decay in the hand clap (not the noise level) or only by using noise gate on separate outputs ?
    According to this: http://www.network-909.de/handclap.htm, C61 is responsible for the verb envelope decay.
    I've never tried it but I assume a smaller capacitor would result in a shorter decay.
  • FactoryDefault wrote:
    franzb wrote:ok thanks !
    According to this: http://www.network-909.de/handclap.htm, C61 is responsible for the verb envelope decay.
    I've never tried it but I assume a smaller capacitor would result in a shorter decay.
    That page is better suited for the Nava project.

The service manual is key to resolving this.

Page 7 shows the " functional view" under the HC section (under snare drum) it shows the major components responsible for each function. in our case D69 & Q69 are the Reverb Envelope..... C138 & C139 most likely have a lot to do with the attack and decay shape.

With a scope you should be able to verify that it's functional and working correctly by following the voice check instructions on page 14.
  • Kazper wrote:That page is better suited for the Nava project.
    Sorry! Just built both and forgot which forum I was reading...