+15 volt on +5 volt and visa versa mistake

Discuss Yocto construction and related issues
  • ikke wrote:That's strange... I hope other people chime in too with their insight.
    Maybe it's more easy to borough a friends arduino?
    I got a Boss dr 55 but can't find if it's a gate trigger or v trigger. I know some guys with dr 110's though but don't know if they have time.
  • Okay, here we go and try to give it another shot.

When you switched the the powerlines (+5V and +15 V in this case), i think you were lucky that the sequencer
    wasn't build yet so nothing got damaged in that section for sure but i'm not so sure about the instrument circuits.
    That's why i wanted you to try them out first with an external trigger before having a go at your sequencer issues.
    When you tried to trigger them manually, you used a trigger of +15V and that probably (i'm quite sure) destroyed a component
    or maybe even a few... How bad the damage is can vary strongly so only measuring will tell.
    You've tried both Bass and Snaredrum like this so i think it's smart to get that sequencer running first and have a better look
    at the instruments afterwards when you have the right triggers to start with and figure out what's wrong with the voices.

For now, i would focus on the sequencer section...

Start with checking the components values, orientation, cold solderjoints, shorts, continuity between components and i'm curious if you had a pre-programmed atmel?
  • ikke wrote:Okay, here we go and try to give it another shot.

When you switched the the powerlines (+5V and +15 V in this case), i think you were lucky that the sequencer
    wasn't build yet so nothing got damaged in that section for sure but i'm not so sure about the instrument circuits.
    That's why i wanted you to try them out first with an external trigger before having a go at your sequencer issues.
    When you tried to trigger them manually, you used a trigger of +15V and that probably (i'm quite sure) destroyed a component
    or maybe even a few... How bad the damage is can vary strongly so only measuring will tell.
    You've tried both Bass and Snaredrum like this so i think it's smart to get that sequencer running first and have a better look
    at the instruments afterwards when you have the right triggers to start with and figure out what's wrong with the voices.

For now, i would focus on the sequencer section...

Start with checking the components values, orientation, cold solderjoints, shorts, continuity between components and i'm curious if you had a pre-programmed atmel?
    Thanks! I think i had a pre programmed atmel. It was it the P version. But i'm not next to my yocto at the moment so i can't check. But you mean the big chip right?
  • Yes, Microcontroller IC1 MEGA1284-P( the 40-pins).
    Did it came with your kit, or did you source it yourself?
  • ikke wrote:Yes, Microcontroller IC1 MEGA1284-P( the 40-pins).
    Did it came with your kit, or did you source it yourself?
    Thanks! It came with the kit.
  • 1. It could be that the atmel isn't flashed properly, not sure how to find out because i haven't invested time in microcontrollers.
    So that's a good question for someone else to explain...
    My guess is that you need a programmer/debugging tool for that or a working Yocto so you can test it in there.
    It could also be a "dead on arrival" situation.

2. If the atmel is flashed properly... I would start looking at the atmel and especially the connections from the atmel who connects with the
    74hc165 and 74hc595 shift registers.

Maybe you forgot to solder some pins in that section, it happens a lot when people are almost done and get excited.
  • ikke wrote:1. It could be that the atmel isn't flashed properly, not sure how to find out because i haven't invested time in microcontrollers.
    So that's a good question for someone else to explain...
    My guess is that you need a programmer/debugging tool for that or a working Yocto so you can test it in there.
    It could also be a "dead on arrival" situation.

2. If the atmel is flashed properly... I would start looking at the atmel and especially the connections from the atmel who connects with the
    74hc165 and 74hc595 shift registers.

Maybe you forgot to solder some pins in that section, it happens a lot when people are almost done and get excited.
    Thanks! Checked every pin of every IC on the sequencer. Retouched the solderpoints to be sure. Also checked all the sequencer parts and polarity. Only thing i can't check polarity are the leds.
  • Maybe the Atmega1284P-PU wasn't flashed. I bought this kit from somebdy else and i don't know where he got that cpu from.

Or doesn't that matter? Also i got pictures of the soldering and the parts of the sequencer. WOuld love to post these on this forum but i t won't. Would be nice though ;)

Could i email them to you ikke? Thanks!
  • The complete kit came including the chip. It was bought on 04/25/2014 10:50:03